DR. BACON MAZATLAN STYLE SHRIMP AND BACON TACOS
Years ago in Mazatlan, I stumbled across a low key seafood restaurant in the Golden Zone and ordered a unbelievably delicious dish with a mix of large pacific shrimp, bacon, bell peppers and onion. The recipe has evolved over time yet remains a favorite for tacos, burritos, and tostadas. It's exceptionally great for sharing with friends and family. Margaritas, Micheladas and Mexican beer are optional.
Necessary Supplies and Instruments
- Cast Iron Skillet (10” or larger) or Blackstone Griddle
- Five slices of Premium bacon (Thick cut preferred)
- Jumbo Mexican White Shrimp (One pound: 16/20 per lb.) Peel and devein.
- DR. BACON O.G. Spice Rub
- Large Green Pepper (1)
- Large Red Pepper (1)
- Large Onion (1/2)
- Butter 1/8 to ¼ stick (based on preference- can substitute with olive oil)
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Corn Tortillas (4-6)
- Your Favorite Hot Sauce
- Freshly Rinsed Cilantro
- Shredded Mexican Cheese (as desired)
Official Procedure (4 servings)
- Dice peppers and onion and place in skillet.
- Cut bacon into ½ inch pieces and place in skillet on top of veggies.
- Season bacon with a nice coating of Dr. Bacon’s O.G. Rub while on top of veggies.
- Add 1/8 to ¼ stick of butter.
- Turn burner to medium high and let cook for 12-14 minutes.
- Stir ingredients thoroughly. (Add extra butter or small amount of olive oil if needed.)
- Peeled and deveined shrimp should be rinsed and dried, then placed in a bowl.
- Season shrimp with fresh cracked pepper and a touch of sea salt.
- Add shrimp to the skillet.
- Work ingredients around skillet until shrimp start turning pink.
- Squeeze lime juice onto ingredients.
- Cook to ensure shrimp are fully cooked (firm and pink in color).
- Turn burner off and let sit for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Warm your favorite corn tortillas.
- Add desired amount of shrimp, bacon and veggies to tortilla.
- Top with hot sauce, shredded cheese, as preferred.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Enjoy with friends and family!!!
* Experiment on tostadas or in flour tortillas, with guacamole or by adding garlic.
Let us know your favorites @drbaconhasthecure on Facebook and Instagram or leave a comment below!
Ben L says...
I mean, come on…AMAZING!
On Jan 16, 2021
Alicia Quinn says...
DELICIOUS!!! Our new favorite Taco Tuesday recipe!!!
On Jan 12, 2021