DR. BACON SMOKED BACON-WRAPPED ARMADILLO EGGS
Can you say flavor bomb? With the four horsemen of flavor, the sausage, cheese, jalapenos and bacon bring the noise in a tightly wound geode of deliciousness. Are you ready to light the fuse?
Dr. Bacon’s preferred method of cooking Bacon-Wrapped Armadillo Eggs is on a pellet smoker/ grill such as a Traeger Pellet Grill because the ingredients absorb all sorts of smoky goodness.
Cooking in the oven is another great option due to the pleasing aromas of delicious bacon, savory sausage and melty cheese that will waft around your home.
Necessary Supplies and Instruments
- Fresh green jalapenos
- 1-2 slices of thick cut bacon per jalapeno
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend or cream cheese
- Pork breakfast sausage
- DR. BACON O.G. Spice Rub or your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Traeger Pellet Grill or similar smoker, oven
- Sharp paring knife to cut jalapenos
- Corer tool for jalapenos https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/jalapeno-pepper-corer/
- Bowl or colander
- Cutting board
- Sheet pan or plate
- Thoroughly wash the jalapenos in a colander or bowl
- Cut top off jalapeno and core out, removing all seeds.
- Stuff pepper with cheese or cream cheese or both.
- Wrap pepper in a layer of seasoned pork breakfast sausage, covering entire pepper.
- Wrap in bacon to (mostly) cover sausage.
- Season liberally with DR. BACON O.G. or add favorite BBQ sauce to cover.
- Cook at 250 degrees for two hours in smoker, grill or oven. If you like crispier bacon, turn up heat to 350 for 5-10 minutes at end, monitoring the bacon as you don't want to overcook.
- Pull once internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
- Slice in half or set up like sushi in pic.
- Enjoy with friends and family!
Let us know what you think below in the comments or @drbaconhasthecure on Facebook and Instagram.